I've been slightly obsessed with Jammie Dodgers recently, you might have seen that I recently made some Jammie Dodger cupcakes (recipe here) which where pretty epic even if I do say so myself, but today I thought I'd give the actual biscuits a go. These biccys are so cute for valentines and where so quick and easy to make, the longest part of making these is the dough having to chill in the fridge for 30 minutes, they actually bake in just 7 minutes he he.
What You Will Need For The Biscuits
100g unsalted butter, softened
175g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
1 tsp vanilla extract
200g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
A jar of strawberry or raspberry jam
A circle cookie cutter
A love heart cookie cutter
1. To make the biscuits, cream together the butter and sugar in a bowl until well combined, then add in the egg and vanilla, and continue to beat until fully incorporated.
2. Tip the flour into the mixture and fold together until fully combined, then shape the dough into a ball and wrap in cling film and pop into the fridge to firm up for around half an hour.
3. Once you dough has chilled completely preheat your oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5 and line a couple of large baking trays with baking paper.
4. On a lightly dusted surface, roll out the dough as thick or as thin as you like and use your round cookie cutter to cut out lots of biscuit rounds, once you have all of your biscuit rounds your going to want to separate half of them and use a small heart shape cookie cutter to stamp out heart shapes from the middle of your rounds.
5. Pop the biscuits in the oven until golden, I made my cookies quite thin so they only took around 7 minutes but the thicker you go the longer they will take. If you like a nice crunch to your biscuits take them out half way through baking and sprinkle a small amount of caster sugar on them all, I did this and it makes such a nice snappy/crunchy biscuit.
6. Once the biscuits are cool, spread jam on the bottom biscuit and top with one of the heart cut out biscuits, sandwiching them together and voila. These biscuits will keep for 2-3 days in an airtight container, that's if they last for 2-3 days because in our house they wont he he.
How yummy do these looks beaut's, they taste so nice and are so quick and easy to make and the ingredients are so minimal too which I love, and adding a sprinkling of caster sugar mid bake really does add such a nice crunch to the biscuits too, yum!
Will you be baking anything this valentines beaut's? I'd love to know!