It's blogmas day seventeen and today I've been in the kitchen baking again...Today I had a craving for some gingerbread but I thought I would mix it up a bit and instead of making gingerbread men I went for gingerbread cupcakes. I was thrilled at how these cupcakes turned out, not only did they turn out looking cute but they taste incredible even if I do say so myself.
What You Will Need For The Cupcakes
Half a cup of granulated sugar
Half a cup of butter or margarine, softened
Half a cup of black treacle
2 cups of flour
1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
1 and a half teaspoons of ground ginger
Half a teaspoon of ground cinnamon
Half a teaspoon of ground allspice
Three quarters of a cup of water
What You Will Need For The Icing
240g butter, softened
400g icing sugar, sifted
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
4 tablespoons of milk
Sprinkles/Mini Gingerbread Men to decorate
How To - Cupcakes
1. Firstly pre-heat your oven to gas mark 4 /180 and line a muffin tin with your cupcake cases.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat the granulated sugar, butter, black treacle and eggs together with an electric whizzer until well combined.
3. Then add in your flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger, cinnamon and the allspice, the mixture will become super thick and that the time you then add in your water, this loosens everything up and makes such a smooth batter.
4. Pop a tablespoon of the cupcake batter into each cupcake case and bake in the oven for around 20 minutes or until the top of the cupcakes are springy to the touch, then transfer onto a wire rack to cool
How To - Icing
1. In a large bowl, beat the butter with an electric whizzer for around 5 minutes or until the butter has turned super pale and smooth, then start adding the icing sugar slowly to avoid the dreaded icing sugar cloud and again mix for another 5 or so minutes until smooth. Then pop in the vanilla extract and a couple of tablespoons o milk if you feel your butter cream is a bit stiff.
2. Pipe or spoon the icing on top of the cupcakes and top with some festive sprinkles and a mini gingerbread man and voila!!!
These cupcakes where so incredibly easy to make and they taste and look so good, the cupcake itself is super light and moist and the butter cream really levels out the amount of spice within the cupcake. If your a lover of gingerbread then you HAVE to make these cupcakes over the festive season.