I've been baking again... This time around I done some birthday cupcakes for my boyfriends Dad, he asked if I could do him some Rolo Cupcakes so I took to trusty old Pinterest in search of a yummy recipe and found this one and because they turned out so god damn good I just had to share them with you all. These cupcakes have a yummy chocolate sponge with a hidden rolo inside, caramel buttercream with more caramel and melted chocolate drizzled over the top with more added Rolos for decoration, yum!
What You Need - Cupcakes
– 175g Unsalted Butter at room temperature
– 175g Light Brown Sugar
– 3 Eggs
– 140g Self-Raising Flour
– 35g Cocoa Powder
– 1-3tbsp Milk
– 12 Rolos
What You Need - Caramel Buttercream Frosting
– 150g Unsalted Butter at room temperature
– 375g Icing Sugar
– 75g Caramel – I used Carnations Caramel
What You Need - Decorations
– 2 tbsps Carnations Caramel
– 50g Milk Chocolate Chips, Melted
1) To make the cupcakes Pre-Heat your oven to 180C/160 Fan/350F/Gas Mark 4 and line a cupcake/muffin tin with 12 cupcakes cases.
2) In a bowl, beat the butter with the light brown sugar until it's light and fluffy and the add in the eggs, self-raising flour and cocoa powder with the butter/sugar and mix until well combined. If the mixture is too stiff you can add a little bit of milk at a time to get a smooth light consistency which is what I did.
3) Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases evenly and pop a Rolo onto the top of the mixture in each cupcake case then bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until they’re baked through and they are springy to touch.
4) To make the caramel buttercream just beat the butter with an electric whizzer for a couple of minutes until it starts to go pale and fluffy then gradually add in the icing sugar and beat again for a few minutes, then add in the caramel to the buttercream and continue mixing. If you find your icing is slightly stiff just mix in a small amount of milk to loosen it up a bit.
5) To decorate the cupcakes I just pipped on the buttercream, then I grabbed some more caramel and popped it into a piping bag and melted some chocolate and put that in another pipping bag and simply drizzled them all over the cupcakes, I then finished them off with more Rolos, and voila!
These where so yummy and actually quite easy to make, if you've got a seriously sweet tooth your going to love these bad boys he he.