It's blogmas day twenty two and guess what? I've been baking AGAIN!!! This time around I've made some Gingerbread Caramel Dodgers, so basically it's a festive spin on the normal jammy dodger but with these ones the biscuit is gingerbread and the centre is caramel instead of jam, yum!!!
What You Will Need
2 tbsp golden syrup
1 tbsp treacle
1 large egg yolk
100g unsalted butter
75g light brown soft sugar
225g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground cinnamon
salted caramel sauce or tinned caramel
icing sugar, for dusting
A round cookie cutter
A small star shape cookie cutter
1. In a small bowl, combine the golden syrup, treacle and egg yolk and then set aside.
2. In a larger separate bowl, whisk the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, then add in the treacle mixture from the smaller bowl and mix until well combined. Sift in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and all of the spices and mix again until you get a dough start to form.
3. Tip the dough onto a large piece of clingfilm, flatten into a disc shape and the wrap up well and chill in the fridge for an hour or freezer for 30 minutes if your inpatient like me he he.
4. Once you dough has chilled completely preheat the oven to gas 4/180°C and line a couple of large baking trays with baking paper.
5. On a lightly dusted surface, roll out the dough as thick or as thin as you like and use your round cookie cutter to cut out lots of gingerbread rounds, once you have all of your gingerbread rounds your going to want to use a small star shape cookie cutter to stamp out star shapes from the middle to half of your rounds. Then pop in the oven until golden, I made my cookies quite thin so they only took around 6 minutes but the thicker you go the longer they will take.
6. Once your gingerbread biscuits are cool it's time to assemble them, spread each whole biscuit with some caramel sauce and sandwich with a star-shaped biscuit and finally dust with a little icing sugar and voilaaaaa!
How amazing do these look beaut's, they taste so yummy and are such a fun, cute and different take on your typical gingerbread men or jammie dodgers, I think they would work amazing boxed up as little edible festive gifts too.
Will you be giving these yummy Gingerbread Caramel Dodgers a whirl beaut's? I'd love to know.